My last blog post talked about myths about Public Relations, and its importance. I found an article that is a follow-up to my blog post called 21 Things Public Relations IS by Jackson Wightman.
My thoughts about these things. I think that most of them are entirely true. Some of them are hilariously true, and the other half is seriously true. I chose the ones that I felt were hilariously true. Besides, we all need to laugh sometimes.
- Sometimes plagued by dumb, shallow idiotic spin (and likely always will be).
- Overly enamored of buzzwords.
- Best conducted by people with high emotional intelligence.
- Sometimes prone to taking itself far too seriously.
- Really happy that social media came along to renew (increase?) its relevancy
- In love with conferences. Sometimes ones where nonsense rules the roost.
- A profession convinced that it should produce more CEOs.
- In need of easy-to-comprehend standards of measurement.
- Something oodles of people are passionate about!
My thoughts about each one.
- Curse you untrue PR stereotype!
- I wouldn’t say I have a mastered PR Buzzword list. I still have a year left in school though.
- Emotional Intelligence? Sometimes I make people cry. (Just kidding…sometimes.)
- You know you take PR too seriously when you instantly come up of a list of ideas for any place you are considering working for, or even a place that needs serious PR help. I enjoy filling out suggestion box cards. 🙂
- Misunderstood all the time. Even by my family! PR is the red-headed step-child of the business world.
- Thank goodness for social media! For some reason everyone thinks that is the most important aspect of PR.
- I wouldn’t say I love conferences, but I enjoy them.
- If businesses had PR CEOs, they would be the most successful businesses today.
- What do you expect? I partly chose this major because I only had to take a semester of math.
- I don’t think there is anyway to get away from it. Passion comes with the job.